Retinoblastoma, know what you’re looking for.

There are so many different health conditions that we know so little about. This one is something we should all be aware of.

Advertisements

I was scrolling through Facebook last night and came across this article that had been shared by a friend of mine and it got me thinking. I started this blog to write about my experiences as a student nurse and going into a staff nurse role. I also wanted to have an influence on people and help to educate in areas that few people know about. So here is goes. This is the story I read about Рhave a read and pass it around.

For those of you reading who aren’t familiar with what a Retinoblastoma is, it’s a form of eye cancer that usually affects children under five (for more information, here is a link to the NHS information page). It can be genetic (40%), in which case both eyes may be at risk, but the remaining 60%, there isn’t a faulty gene and it will usually only affect one eye.¬†Funnily enough, one of the ways in which I have often heard it to be discovered is through looking at a photograph of a child, and in their eye there is a sort of shadow.

T-Hale1_retinoblastoma_342x198(Photo from the NHS information page linked above)

If you find that, it might just be worth taking them to a doctor or optician just to be on the safe side. There are other symptoms too, but I don’t want this to be a panic post so I’ll let you look at the NHS page and get the information you need. The treatment is also very good, with options depending on the severity and it is usually very successful!

I’m not an expert in this field, so I don’t want to go into too much detail, I just wanted to get the word out that this is a real condition that can be found and treated! If you want more information you can type Retinoblastoma into google and have a look, or follow the links at the bottom of this post to get a little more information.

I’ll never, ever go on about how you should repost/share this blog post, but what I will ask is that you keep what you have read in mind, share with family and friends. Not for my benefit, but so that there is more awareness of this condition around, maybe that can be that something we do to help today.

I hope this post has been at least a little informative, and if just one person who didn’t have a clue about RB now knows the signs/what it’s about, then I’ll be happy. If you want any other posts about conditions with very little publicity and I have any knowledge, I’ll be happy to do a little post about it. I promise, the intention of this post isn’t to scare you or get you to scrutinize every photo you see of a child, but to inform and spread the word about RB.

In the meantime, you could check out the following links for more information:

Patient.co.uk

MacMillan Cancer Care

Childhood Eye Cancer Trust

C.x

Author: itsjustlittleoldme

C.x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s